Social Icons

Sunday, September 30, 2012

[28.9.2012] Short and Sweet Malaysia

The other day I had an invite through facebook by an old pupil mate of mine from my days in the law firm.

Anyhow, what she wanted to invite me for was a musical theather that was to be shown during the Short and Sweet Malaysia show. It turns out that she's the director of one of the plays and and with a slight twisting of the arm, she managed to get me interested enough to go and along with that I managed to convince a few more people and together we went to catch the show.


So what's short and sweet? Well basically Short & Sweet is a set of 10 minute plays which is centred around different themes and genres. Its promoted as the biggest short play festival in the world and it orignated in Australia. The current one in Malaysia is into its 5th year and frankly, I dont think i have ever heard much about it but I was really glad that I have been invited to attend one.

The one that we were invited for was for the musical category which had 6 different 10 minute plays and our friend was the director of the 5th Play for that night.

So, the play was held in KL Perfoming Arts Centre in Sentul which is housed in a wonderful garden like area which is really nice to see during the day. But the building where the show was held itself wasnt bad either.


The ticket counter/office..






Main Foyer.. Very Airy.




Anyhow, for the Short and Sweet festival they were playing 6 different plays back to back so all you do is sit back and watch for 1 hour. The following was played..

1. Hah!




A musical about a skinny girl trying to be thin and wanting to commit suicide. So she goes to the extent of being bulimic and then another gal played if i remember correctly it was a guy (Cool) who loves her curves..

2. Detention



This is an interestinng musical played by 3 characters in detention (1 Boy and 2 Girls) where 1 girl is trying to entice the  boy (who is into his masculinity and quite appealing i guess) to 'pop the cherry' and the other who is the girl's friend who comes out of the closet to tell the girl that she's loved her for a very long time..(SHOCKING!).  This one was very interesting and fun..Very 'Glee' like to me.

3. The Quest



This is supposedly a play about love and want in a renaissance period-ish tavern theme which I didnt really get. I see that this was really a professional do but lacked the fun-nes of the other plays.


4. Background Music





This is a musical about a guy who is desperate to go on a date and calls an agency to go for a date auction in the name of 'charity' (the real one not the name of the girl.. hehe) and the musical's come in the form of the jingle's for the ads and the in between commentary by the guy.. I liked this one as it was fun to watch and the main character pulled it off well with him playing the boy who just had confirmed his first date and the jitters all along with it. hehe.


5. Disorder in the Court





Well this is my friend's play and its played entirely by legal practitioners and its about the ' trial of the century'  and how a contagious singing disease spreads and causes disaster or havoc in the court. hehe.

This one is rather funny for me as I was a former practitioner myself and I can really imagine how this would end up if it happened to some of my cases.

6. The GeongXi Is a Vamp





This musical is about a family of  vampire/banshee who are welcoming the return of their son who came back from overseas after studying about fashion as he was supposed to go to trasylvania and actually went to Pennsylvania. Check out the makeup on some of them.. really cool and scary haha

This one is really funny as the ghosts were portrayed as traditional chinese vampire/banshee who cannot accept that their son has come back as the above.

A video of the show can be found here.

From my understanding, this show won the show and I guess you can understand why..

But I really loved most of the shows and can relate to some of them!

A good part about the Short and Sweet Malaysia 2012, is that there are several categories of prizes and one of them is based on the audience vote and after you cast your vote you can get a chocalate bar from one of the sponsors and for some reason there were a lot of lawyer's there that night hahaha...

Anyhow some extra pics I took.




Us with the director! ( Me, Hui Ying (The Director) and Larina)

Now that I know its an annual thing, I cant wait to go the next year's Short and Sweet! :)

6 comments:

  1. Why watch when you can take part? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Follow the klpac FB page. They will make announcements about workshops and also audition dates.

      Delete
  2. Dude, you really gonna take part? If yes, don't forget to lemme know. I'm sure gonna attend!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am still thinking about it.. This is something I have never tried before in my life.. :) well publicly that is.

      Delete

What do you think of this post?